Tuesday, April 16, 2013



Over the past ten weeks, I have highlighted the ardent issues within the urban spaces of Trinidad and Tobago. Issues in every aspect of urban space such as social, political, economic and environmental factors were highlighted in order to raise the awareness level of my Urban Geography (GEOG 2007) class colleagues and the wider world by extension. These issues comprised of homelessness, overcrowded streets, crime, pollution (air and land), marginalization, inadequate affordable houses, dilapidated buildings, lack of sustainable modes of transport and architecture of fear.
Some of the issues highlighted in my blog were also mentioned in some of my colleagues’ blog such as Urban Environment in T&T (http://urbanenvirtt.blogspot.com/) by Avion Harvey, Cultural Influences on the City of Port of Spain (http://the-power-of-culture-in-pos.blogspot.com/) by Danielle Richards and The Dark Side of Urbanization (http://negativeurbanisation.blogspot.com/) by Khadija Stewart. Urban Environment in T&T blog highlighted inequality as one of the main reasons for the perpetuation of high crime levels in Laventille, Port of Spain. This was indicated in my blog’s subtitled ‘Urban Crime.’ On the other hand, Cultural Influences on the City of Port of Spain blog commented on the prevalence of homeless people in Port of Spain, which I also highlighted in my first posted picture blog, subtitled ‘Homelessness.’ The Dark Side of Urbanization blog specifically discussed the issue of overcrowding in Charlotte Street, Port of Spain which was one of those burning issues mentioned in my blog post subtitled ‘Overcrowded Streets.’ It was a bit surprising that my colleagues also highlighted similar issues to my blog’s postings.  This showed that these are some of the main issues affecting urban spaces in Port of Spain and other urban areas throughout Trinidad and Tobago.
The experience of doing this blog has aided my understanding of some of the issues that plague cities or urban spaces such as in Port of Spain and Scarborough, Trinidad and Tobago respectively. It is my hope that the issues highlighted in this blog would encourage someone to become proactive in developing feasible solutions to address the urban issues in Trinidad and Tobago.



1 comment:

  1. Very good. I think you could discuss more of the links between you and your colleagues' posts -- dig deeper.

    You've done very well.

    Keep up your blogging! You write beautifully and integrate the theory seamlessly.

    ReplyDelete